Endoscopies are an essential part of modern medical care. Endoscopies use a long tube with a light on its tip, called an endoscope, to examine the different parts of the body internally without having to perform surgery. Dr. Glenn Madokoro, in Newport Beach, CA, specializes in this procedure.
Endoscopy in Newport Beach, CA, Types
There are different types of endoscopies for the various parts of the body.
- The upper GI series looks for abnormalities or problems that might be happening with a person's esophagus, gallbladder, pancreas, and upper small intestine.
- A bronchoscopy looks at the airways and lungs.
- A colonoscopy examines the lower intestinal tract.
- A cystoscope examines the bladder and urinary system.
- A gastroscope views the stomach lining.
What an Endoscopy in Newport Beach, CA, Detects
Endoscopies can be used to diagnose and treat several conditions, some more common than others. They include many things.
- Ulcers in the stomach or intestines
- Esophageal cancer
- Gallstones in the gallbladder (cholecystitis)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) with symptoms such as heartburn and regurgitation.
Dr. Glenn Madokoro in Newport Beach, CA, also might use endoscopy to remove lesions from the esophagus that might obstruct breathing, cleaning out strictures that narrow an organ's lumen, and taking biopsies of suspected tumors.
The Endoscopy Procedure
When you come in for endoscopy in Newport Beach, CA, you'll be greeted by warm and friendly staff. You'll be prepared in a waiting area where you'll feel safe and relaxed. Before the procedure, you're given anesthesia, so you don't remember anything.
During the procedure, the endoscope is placed through the body's orifice that allows them to see the affected part that needs examination. Once inside, the doctor then screens the area and takes several photographs of what they can see. When complete, the endoscope is removed, and you are taken to a recovery area where you are looked after until the anesthesia has worn off.
If you're having difficulty with the different internal pathways of your body and are concerned you might need an endoscopy, contact Dr. Madokoro in Newport Beach, CA, at 949-548-8800 right away for an appointment!